Thursday, July 10, 2008

On becoming Woody Allen

I am, sort of, in "rewrites." My book is over 80% complete but I have hit a little road block inside my summer vacationing mind (thankfully, I write nonfiction so it does not need to be complete for publishers just yet). SO, instead of doing nothing, I am editing. My agent is a former editor who has a keen eye for critique, which I appreciate. I am fully aware that I am a grammatical nightmare (and was distressed to discover that a regular blog reader is an English teacher!) but that doesn't bother me too much. Grammar can be fixed by someone who does good at it. The rest of the process, however, creates painful and severe self-indulgent neurosis.

My friend, Susan Isaacs, just completed her first book, "Angry Conversations with God" and wrote this post on her blog about her current state of mind. While reading her most depressing thoughts, I found myself envying the writer adrenaline she refers to and wondering, "Where the heck is mine?" Sick.

Then I stumbled upon this quote by British novelist, Zadie Smith:

"When you finish your novel, if money is not a desperate priority, if you do not need to sell it at once or be published that very second -- put it in a drawer. For as long as you can manage. A year of more is ideal -- but even three months will do. Step away from the vehicle. The secret to editing your work is simple: you need to become its reader instead of its writer. I can't tell you how many times I've sat backstage with a line of novelists at some festival, all of us with red pens in hand, frantically editing our published novels into fit form so that we might go on stage and read from them. It's an unfortunate thing, but it turns out that the perfect state of mind to edit your novel is two years after it's published, ten minutes before you go on stage at a literary festival. At that moment every redundant phrase, each show-off, pointless metaphor, all of the pieces of dead wood, stupidity, vanity, and tedium are distressingly obvious to you."

I began writing this crazy group of words last October in the midst of a most trying moment. The book didn't start out to revolve around that struggle, and it still doesn't revolve around any one moment, but the journey back to sanity found its way into my work and became a dominant theme. In other words, I did not set out to write the book that I have written, which I suspect may be a good thing because the original idea is still there to be nurtured. Unless this first one kills me.
Inviting God into this fray is proving interesting. Even though the book is essentially about Him, and certainly for Him, I am tempted to believe that I need to cling to all this angst in order to write at all. Does that make sense? So, God and I are currently in "faith/trust/Who defines you?" negotiations.

But today, I will dive right back in and trip over my insecurities and self-doubt - all to look at Chapter One once again.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Wendy,

Don't worry about me. I be the most ill-read, illiterate English major you'll come across. My wonderful colleges would argue that I am a baseball coach first, English teacher second. You remind me of those ladies. I sit silent and listen to them or read your writings and come away refreshed.

Maureen said...

Not to get into a marital spat on your blog...but my husband is lying. He is one of the most eclectically (is that a word dear?) read people I have ever met. He's gotten me to read books I wouldn't have even considered reading (come on, why else would anyone read John Muir :)

ps. the part about the nice English ladies is true.

S. Porter Family said...

I found a quote last week and shared it on a book club blog I belong to. I find it encouraging. Hopefully, you will too.

"If you want to write you must have faith in yourself. Faith enough to believe that if a thing is true about you, it is likely true about many people. And if you can have faith in your integrity and your motives, then you can write about yourself without any fear." (from www.reallivepreacher.com)

Steve said...

Wendy,

I posted initially, but have been thinking about a better response.
Tell me to bug out if I step too far.

Who is really negotiating? Isn't it really reconciling? It seems to be a part of the independent/interdependent/dependent cycle. To me the relationship with God has been the Great Adventure in my life. I am seeking when I don't realize it, avoiding when it's easy to, and humbled when I need to be. God is there at all of these times.

I'm excited to see where this goes. We start one direction and end up another. That is the adventure of God.

Wendy Melchior said...

I would never say, "bug out!" I LOVE feedback, even if it challenges my all-too-limited perspective.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is ME that is in negotiations - not HIM. :) He's waiting for my pride (or whatever this is) to subside.