Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ghost stories et al

Yesterday I promised you ghost stories from camp. Well, no campfires yet, but some other things are actually more scary.

First, the bathrooms. I have been to Tibet, where I had nothing but a hole in the ground to go in, and I am actually wondering if that wouldn’t be better than what I am experiencing. My husband as my witness, I am no weenie – I can live in a lot of chaos and discomfort – but these bathrooms are a TRIP. I’d post a picture, but remember the fate of my camera??

Secondly, the cabins. When you lay your head upon your pillow tonight, think of me on the top bunk in an A frame cabin on a mattress meant for an 8 year old. Besides the mold, the spiders have claimed complete ownership and my face is about 2 feet from the wood ceiling and all their webs. I have to shimmy onto my bunk, because there is NO WAY I can sit up. I have eleven first and second grade girls in my charge, all with a variety of temperaments and levels of homesickness.

Lastly, the theology. THEOS = God, LOGOS = words. Words about God or the study of God. My three kids and three of their friends are here with me. Last night, I met with them briefly to straighten out the some of the questionable ideas that they learned in chapel and during the “missionary moment.” Why would we teach children that deciding to be a Christian is primarily about “getting to go to heaven”??? I did not choose to cooperate with God to avoid death, I did it to embrace life, and I believe that my eternal life has already begun. Forget embodying the Gospel, just make sure you stay out of hell!! (ok, it wasn’t that bad, but I imagined it was).

One day down, four to go. I wonder when I will start to ask questions – out loud. Any wagers?

4 comments:

Todd said...

Did you really think they were going to preach heaven on earth this week, let alone on the first day?

IF (capital IF) . . . If you believe that our time on earth is temporary and heaven is eternal, and that you are going to spend eternity in hell if you don’t accept Jesus (and I think most Christians do believe this), then all you would/should do is get as many people as possible to say a quick prayer and move on.

Also, what did you say about ENDURING all things? :)

Mike said...

If all Christianity was, was about not dieing and going to hell, couldn't they have made the book a whole lot shorter? That sentiment is why so many people see Christians as delusional people, all they do is walk around waiting for the apocalypse :P

Steve said...

I think we're talking about American Christians. Life has been too easy.

"What I have to think about others? I purchased fire insurance, I didn't sign on for that."

Kind of like the Extreme Makeover house in foreclosure. "They gave me this house and these others will give me a new loan on the new value. I'll sign up for that. What, now you want me to pay it back?"

Remember Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Anonymous said...

great notes from camp... raise your hand! help those kids connect the dots... it took me far too long as "good" and "right" as I tried to be.