Tuesday, July 22, 2008

God vs. Superman

So, my family has taken to watching a network called G4. Not every show, mind you, just the one from Japan that features people navigating an obstacle course while on pogo sticks or running barefoot across foam columns. The show is called Unbeatable Banzuke. Check your local listings.

Since the whole show is in Japanese, I suspect that we miss some of the subtleties – or perhaps there are no subtleties to miss. I cannot seem to ascertain why these people are doing these things on TV, but why does anybody do what they do, right? Rarely does a competitor beat the foam columns, and most people just look silly while they try to do the impossible.

I can remember a similar reality show a couple of years ago where people (speaking English) pitted themselves against impossible feats of athleticism and daring. They were asking their bodies to do things that, if successful, would cause permanent damage. Although I can’t remember the specifics, I can remember one contestant chanting, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…” before attempting the impossible.

That oh-so-misunderstood verse is found in the book of Philippians, chapter 4. For some crazy reason, we have pulled it out of context and decided that the Apostle Paul was telling us that everything we attempt would turn out great if God is on our side. Thus we have bizarre movies like Facing the Giants or any other sports movie where they pray in the locker room and then win by divine intervention.

Let’s have a look in context: Paul writes, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles.”

Perhaps the translators would have served us all better if they had written, “I can ENDURE all things…” because Paul is clearly talking about how he responds to trouble, not about being empowered to eat cow testicles on Fear Factor.

Yet, when I read it again, I do not feel disappointment at being limited, but I get a real thrill. God chooses to work within the framework of life – and even though I believe miracles are a reality – why would He glorify Himself by performing one that turns me into a superhero?? No, He chooses miraculous activities that bring about healing and restoration when our hearts are broken, when the economy is making us unsure, when someone we love dies, when life is unfair.

I used to wish I could fly. Now, I just do. No matter the weather.


1 comment:

Jenna said...

Thanks for this post. I, too, get so frustrated when people prooftext. I appreciate your insights. I am glad Jared informed me of your blog. Happy writing!