Thursday, July 24, 2008

Night vision

For many years, I struggled with insomnia – from 1989 to 2004, to be exact. I was not an unhappy insomniac. On the contrary, I had a dark, quiet world that was all my own and I used my time quite productively, rarely feeling tired the day after. I never had difficulty getting up when my children were infants and was often already by their cribs when they started to stir. One day, in March of 2004, I slept through the whole night and have been able to ever since. No big emotional event or resolved inner conflict happened that day that I can recall. I suspect I just finally felt tired.

The night before last, we had thunderstorms here. They were the loud, crashing, right-over-the-house kinds and I found myself awake once again. I listened to my husband breathe for awhile and thought of how much I love him. Noah woke up and we had a brief, but funny, conversation before he drifted back off. I unloaded the dishwasher, wrote a few words, folded some laundry and read parts of a book that I’ve been skimming. It felt like old times.

But yesterday afternoon was an entirely different story. I WAS TIRED! If I hadn't had a house full of kids, I probably could have slept all afternoon. In my groggy state, I smiled to think of how different I am.

It’s funny how people change. Some changes are subtle, others are enormous and obvious. Change is so important, so necessary. I have a friend whose husband, after 20 years of marriage, was upset because she had changed. Well, yeah, of course she had – in twenty years, God teaches you a lot of stuff. Over time, we begin to understand what is important, what we want to cling to and what is superfluous – and we change as a result.

I am trying to provide others with a wide berth for growth. It is tempting to categorize or hold each other to the past, but creating a space for others to change creates a space for me to be different too. A freeing space that, for today, I'd like to curl up and have a nap in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said! now don't go chang'n...

Anonymous said...

Wish I could remember who said, "When we say about a brother, 'he will never change', we deal a fatal blow to our relationship with him." Because relationships which are not changing are not growing. And relationships that aren't growing, like any other living thing, are dying. Thanks for the "wide berth for growth." What a great way to say it.

Steve said...

Isn't growth and change what God wants in us? Growing closer to Him.

That is part of the adventure of life.