Friday, July 18, 2008

Home again, home again, lickety split


Mia and I are going back home later today. We’ve only been gone a week, but it’s time.

I was amazed how hungry I was for news from home. Not that I was looking for any grand tales, it was the everyday stuff I wondered about. The boys would call and report baseball scores and Noah even gave me play by play of last week’s games. Steve told me what he was mustering up to feed everybody and how the boys were falling into bed dead tired each night after baseball camp.

While talking to my mother, she double checked our flight number and arrival time several times, eager to pick us up asap. She told me about her garden and some of the shenanigans my father got into this week.

My friend Diana sent me daily emails, updating me on all the Colbert Reports I was missing. She assured me that she laughed for me, so all is not lost.

And I smiled as I read Bob’s emails. Addressed to lots of people, they were reminders of game times and tournament schedules for this weekend and I knew I would be sitting with my buddies on the bleachers soon – laughing and cheering (or groaning) and doing life together.

Last night, as Mia talked on the phone to her brother, JJ, he ended his conversation with her by saying, “I love you, Mia.” After she hung up, she looked at me with an enormous smile and said, “JJ told me he loves me.” I smiled too.

It is wonderful to belong to someone.

No comments: