Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Animal kingdom

I have been intrigued lately by the signs outside of churches offering “Bless the Animals” services. I have never attended one, but I’ve been told that you can take your pet to the church and have it blessed or prayed over.

My father was always the type that said, “A person is a person and an animal is an animal.” No, he wasn’t a farmer, and he dearly loved all our pets, but he just felt like there was a different level of investment you should make – people being more important. All that said, I wonder how God feels about blessing the animals and I hope my blog doesn’t get black-listed by PETA.

Over the years, I have known quite a few people battling illnesses. I used to work with a guy named Bob who was essentially estranged from his family because of choices he had made years before. When he discovered that he had cancer, several friends and I began to care for him. As he grew worse, it became evident that he could no longer care for his cat, Misty. Without asking her, I volunteered my mother to adopt the cat and, since he adored my mom, Bob had such a sense of peace that the animal he loved would be loved in his absence. My gracious mother agreed, and Misty moved in. Bob (and Misty) eventually died.

On Monday, I took Diana into the hospital for a surprise admission. She has been feeling terrible and her blood levels were dangerously low. Diana has a large, 13 year old, Doberman Pincher named The Lovely Miss Jasmine and Diana knows that as she feels ill and waits for a bone marrow donor match, it is getting harder and harder to care for her beloved dog.

I called my mom. After I got Diana settled in her room, I drove to her house and picked up Jasmine – all her toys and food and pillow and leash (which is red for Phillies!). We drove 20 minutes and I pulled up to the house where I had spent my teenage years. Right away, my parents pet her and soothed her and found a spot for Jasmine’s considerable luggage. I thought I’d stay a few minutes to make sure she was acclimated, but soon she was sitting in between my parents, in the family room, being cuddled and stroked and admired. She couldn’t have cared less if I was there or not.

Funny, but somehow the way that my mom blesses the animals actually blesses people. Knowing that their pets are safe and fed and loved is a great relief for people who are struggling and my mom’s animal convalescent home is a taste of the Kingdom, I think. In her faithful, poop-scoopin’ way, my mom is advancing peace. I certainly know how God feels about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post!

Any chance Mom would take in two cats from Atlanta who are litter box optional?