Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Speaking of bail

My husband is away for business and I have a whole new respect for single parents. We have three children, so even when we are both at home we are outnumbered, but at least we can strategically position ourselves between each child to avert any poking or pinching or tripping that is attempted.

With Steve away, one of three things will probably happen this week, the best of which is that I will be arrested for throttling one of my own. They are making me nuts.

We all had off for Rosh Hashanah yesterday, and even though we had plans with Grandma and Grandpa, plans with friends, and plans to watch a new Blockbuster release, we couldn’t seem to stop picking on each other. Mom gets very stressed and her buffer of a husband isn’t here to, well, buffer.

Please do not misunderstand me. I love these children desperately – every inch of them. However, I need at least one more inch of rope, because I’m at the very end of mine with four more days to go.

My children don’t ever get the benefit of my party personality. You know, that persona that instantly appears when others are around, when we are all on our best behavior. I wonder what they are thinking sometimes when they see mine appear. “Man, everybody thinks my mom is so great. They should see her when the dishwasher isn’t unloaded immediately…”

I want to be a consistent person, so only one question remains. Do I let you see what happens when you don’t pick your socks up off the bathroom floor or do I start being on my best behavior with the people I love the most?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Wendy! That single mom thing is so true. I saw a mom on SuperNanny once who had left her husband and was now raising 5 boys on her own. I really thought, that unless there had been bloodshed, why in the world would she have done that. As I see it, he got a reward!

All of our children know that we are really Sybil. At the age of 5, my daughter told me that she didn't like it when I was sarcastic and recently suggested that I read "Scream Free Parenting' again!

I'm hoping my "resonable" mom moments outweigh and outshine my lunatic mom moments. and I too depend on my husband who almost is never a lunatic. (I think it's because I'm more driven by the perfection bug then he is).

God and I spend a lot of time talking about this. I've asked the Holy Spirit to clasp his hand over my mouth before I say something that could be harmful. I have thanked God for the wonderfully spirited daughter he has blessed us with and other times I ask "why?'

I'll pray for you, during this single mom phase. But even at your worse (and I'm sure that's not as bad as you think) Wendy, I know that your children are truly blessed to have a mom like you! In the meantime, would Mia like to come over for a play date?

Todd said...

If my daughter's name was Kate I would be sure that my wife posted that last response. I'd get her that book if thought it wouldn't push her over the edge.

Wendy - your question is purely theoretical.

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

When my son was 5 he told me that I had never yelled at him.....I wondered if he needed Psychiatric help (or a hearing aid). Thank God for selective memory.

Anonymous said...

Perspective is a fantastic thing. I have a friend who is nearing the end of her life. When I start complaining, recounting an 'incident' in our home that has sent me over the edge, she usually starts laughing her head off and telling me how wonderful my children are. She changes my perspective and I see how precious these years are. I still 'lose it' but every now and then when I feel my blood pressure rising, when I hear them antagonizing each other the way only siblings can, I think of my friend and I think 'she would love to be hearing this!' and it puts it all into perspective. I think someday they will be grown and gone and I will miss them into the core of my being. It helps me to relax a little about the little things. Hope this helps. Hang in there!