Friday, October 31, 2008

Bunt

I really don’t want to drag the baseball metaphors out too long, but right now I live in a town that is absolutely out of control with Phillies phever. I know other towns have gotten excited about their wins, but I suspect that this town is a little over the top in general – so winning has made our city almost a caricature of itself.

One thing about the final game that I found intriguing was Jimmy Rollins’ bunt. I know that bunting is a regular part of baseball – a strategy to move a runner along the bases – and I also know that a good player does whatever the manager asks him to. That said, I kept thinking to myself, after watching Jimmy lay down a perfect bunt that moved Jenkins to third, that it must be CRAZY difficult in the middle of the World Series to give up your shot at heroism. There is a World Series MVP award, after all, and I cannot remember a time it was given to the best bunter. Home run hitters, on the other hand, have often won the coveted prize. Rollins knows he can do it, having hit clutch homeruns in other games, and the desire to just SWING BIG must have been burning inside him as he stood at the plate with 50,000 people chanting his name.

But he didn’t. Swing big, that is. He did sacrifice his turn at bat, his potential stardom, to advance the runner as the world watched.

Now, I am not martyring dear Jimmy. He’s a baseball player who wanted to win the World Series and so he did what was best for the team, the game and the city. But, man, I would have longed to swing.

I have been doing a lot of big swinging lately (though I’m not necessarily making contact). If you have never met me (those that have can agree or disagree here), I am, well, verbal. By that I mean, I freely express my perspective and I can be difficult to argue with because my mouth works on hyper-drive. I do not always think I’m right, but I think it's fun to test the limits to see if I am, which can be confusing (and a real pain in the butt) for someone trying to relate to me. Perhaps I am an acquired taste.

Lately, though, as people are trying to navigate a complicated election, I am trying to learn to bunt. Believe me, I’m no martyr, but continually trying to hit my argument out of the park may not be the right thing. As a matter of fact, leaders and communicators, far more influential than I, may want to consider some bunting too. God does not need any more MVPs.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Wendy,

Jimmie Rollins has learned through baseball what many of us haven't. Or has taken us many years. Bunting doesn't seem glamourous, but it is extremely effective at helping the team. It puts the team, including yourself in a position to win, or at least help yourself.

The other thing people don't realize is that bunting is difficult. It looks simple; just stand up there and stick the bat out. So far from the truth. How many times have we seen a player try to bunt and pop up, or miss the ball completely, or bunt too hard right to the defense. It takes practice to be a good bunter. And do you think the pitcher, who usually knows when you are bunting, is going to give you a fat pitch to bunt? They are going to make it hard on you.

We remember the big homerun, but forget the three to ten strikeouts in between. And just the opposite, we remember the bad bunts more than the good ones.

Kind of like life. The good things take practice and effort.

Steve in Central CA celebrating the Phillies win but lamenting the end of another season