Thursday, October 2, 2008

The healing nature of cancer

Last Saturday night, my family and 170 other people danced the night away at a “Hooray For Life” party. My friend Diana, who is battling leukemia, decided to have a bash like none other. Swoop, the Eagles’ mascot was there, a roving magician provided entertainment, and a Mummers band played! (If you don’t live in the northeast and are wondering what a “Mummer” is – believe me, it’s worth a google).

The guests were an eclectic bunch, coming from different parts of her life – family, work, church, neighbors. One of the best parts for me was finally being able to put faces to all the names that I’ve heard Diana refer to. There was Bryan and Cuzn Bob and Uncle Lou and her nieces and nephew, Linda from work whose boyfriend remains an urban myth and our mutual dear friend Julie and her new boyfriend. My kids danced so long and so hard that the DJ finally played “Last Dance” to give them warning that it was almost over.

I watched as everyone laughed, danced and embraced. In the midst of our concern for our friend, we did exactly as she asked and we celebrated the things in life that really matter – relationships, faith and food.

Diana’s sister, whose son has refused to speak to his mother, sat next to him throughout the night. I got to see and hug some folks from my old church that I haven’t seen in quite some time. People sat at tables with people they had never met, but found themselves friends.

Opposites may attract, but it’s what people have in common that bring them together. Well, that and the Mummers.

No comments: