Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sore throat

I have a wicked sore throat. Usually, a sore throat means a cold isn’t far behind, but so far I only feel like I’ve swallowed flames.
I am not often ill, but when I decide to do it, I do it right. It is usually easy for me to look back after a cold and see that my physical well-being and my emotional well-being are intricately connected. If you know me well, you know that a cold sore will soon be appearing.

I have been stressed and fearful over a sick friend, a tenuous book journey, trying to get assimilated into a new church, financial pressures at home, loss of community and what picture makes me look thin so I can put it on Facebook. I am fearful for our country and for my children who are inheriting more than what is fair and reasonable. I wonder if I truly do enough, help enough, love enough or just talk enough. Sometimes I throw away recyclables by mistake.

I was reading an article by Anne Lamott today. She described a moment when she was attacked and knocked over by a wolf, and she wrote something interesting about fear.

“So what did I learn that day? I learned that fear is appropriate these days, much of the time. Don't let people tell you that you can't have faith and fear, as if you have to choose. The old saying goes, Faith is fear that has said its prayers. This is the best possible time in the history of the republic both to stay extremely afraid and also to keep the faith: If you feel too much of one, look around deep inside for the other.”
I want to honor God with all of my life. To not do that makes me afraid. Not afraid of hell (swallowing flames), but afraid of missing REAL, HONEST, SATISFIED, KINGDOM life. Nothing is more frightening. Or cold sore producing.

Cold-EEZE anyone?

4 comments:

militia207 said...

hide under the covers and save your voice. You can get sick and worry about your worries tomorrow ..... tonite we need your voice to cheer on the Phils to the World Series.

militia207

Todd said...

How many times did Jesus say “do not be afraid” in one way or another? And often He couples it with something about not having enough faith. I think you’d have to say there is some correlation between fear and faith. Now I would argue that both fear and faith are out of our control, but let’s set that aside for now. What I think I can add here is that fear and PEACE are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of things to be afraid of today, but we can find peace in His kingdom here on earth.

Btw, wicked awesome post this morning. I could have done without the picture, but I think I'll be okay.

Wendy Melchior said...

great point and I agree. I should have said REAL, HONEST, SATISIFIED, PEACEFUL, KINGDOM life.

Yeah, the picture is kind of gross, isn't it? I promise not to post my fever blister/cold sore when it arrives.

Jared said...

I agree about the picture. It has haunted me since I read your post this morning. Doesn't that scare your sickness away?