Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Weakly planner

I have been “unemployed” for almost one full year. My job was somewhat unpredictable, so it is interesting to realize that I have actually become a better planner and more schedule oriented since being at home full time.

Most days I discipline myself to write for several hours, but each day of the week holds its own routine. On Mondays, I have breakfast with my parents and sister, do the laundry and the grocery shopping. Besides the fact that the kids and their friends have emptied the pantry over the weekend, there are usually a variety of dirty uniforms that have the potential to stink up the entire house if left in the hamper.

On Sunday evening, I wrote out a grocery list, emptied the baseball equipment from the back of my car to make room for food and asked the kids if they had any special snack requests. Right before going to bed, I checked my email and discovered that a friend needed my help on Monday. I replied that I would come.

What I thought would be a brief visit turned into a trip to the hospital in Center City where we waited for a couple of hours for a treatment that never happened. I bought a book that I never opened and the nurses searched for a vein in my friend’s arm that they never found. As I sat with my friend, my mind wandered to all the things I was not accomplishing and I started to giggle.

My weekly plans are really little plans. There is another really big plan I want to live by, the plan to cooperate with God. God, who I understand in the Christ, wants to love and care for and restore people. I don’t always get that written on my calendar, so I love it when He interrupts me and reminds me of the BIGNESS of following Him.

It would have been really cool if my laundry had been miraculously finished when I got home – all neatly folded and put away in drawers and sprinkled with angel dust – but it wasn’t.

But, hey, there's always Tuesday.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Its funny how God shows you the plans that really are the important ones. I always loved the quote by John Steinbeck "The best-laid plans of mice and men/often go awry," I loved that quote even before I was a christian, and now that I am a christian it kinda serves as a reminder to myself that my plans aren't the best plans.

Unknown said...

I really do think that God most often speaks to me and works through the interruptions in my day. The trick for me is to not get frustrated...I wish I could giggle like you naturally did!

Happy shared ministry change anniversary cousin!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a line from the movie Bella.... "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what your plans are."